History & Heritage
Swamiji's letter on Sri Sarada Math
Swami Vivekananda expressed his dream of founding a Women’s Math in a letter to his brother
disciple, Swami Shivananda in 1894 from America
Inaugaration of Sri Sarada Math in the occasion of Holy Mother’s birth Centenary on 2nd
December 1954 and thus fulfilling Swamiji’s dream.
The trustees of Sri Sarada Math founded the Ramakrishna Sarada Mission Association
following the act ACTXX1 of 1860 with the object of propagating educational, cultural, medical
and similar charitable activities among women and children irrespective of caste, creed, colour
The inaugural meeting to set up the college on the donated land of thirty bighas by D.N
Bhattacharya at 33, Nayapatty Road, South Dum Dum took place on the 10th March 1961. The
meeting was presided over by the Most Revered Swami Madhavanandaji Maharaj, the then
general secretary of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission.
16 th June 1961 the foundation stone of the 1 st hostel building Brahmananda Bhavan was laid by
Swami Yatiswarananda Maharaj, the Vice President of Ramakrishna Math and Mission.
10 th August 1962 the hostel building was inaugurated by Swami Madhavananda Maharaj who
was then the 9 th President of Ramakrishna Math and Mission. Swami Ranganathananda
Maharaj, Swami Omkarananda Maharaj and few other Sannyasis of BelurMath accompanied
The college started functioning in a temporary shed building. The foundation stone was laid by
Swami Vireswarananda Maharaj, the then Asst. General Secretary of Ramakrishna Math and
Mission on 13 th December, 1961. The college was transferred to the newly constructed college
building in 1963- the year which was remarkable for Swamiji’s birth centenary celebration. The
Irrigation Minister Ajay Mukhopadhyay was present in the meeting. Chief Minister Sri Prafulla
Chandra Sen sent his message with Good wishes.
2 nd Hostel Building, Bharati Bhavan, was inaugurated by Swami Vireswarananda Maharaj, the
then President of Ramakrishna Math and Mission.
Silver Jubilee was celebrated in the college.
Prayer hall was constructed in 1991.
In the year 2000 the old assembly hall had to be renovated. Most revered Srimat Swami
Ranganathanandaji Maharaj, the then president of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna
Mission donated for this cause who wanted it to be named after Pravrajika Muktiprana Mataji,
the first general secretary of Sri Sarada Math and Ramakrishna Mission. So the renovated hall
was named Muktiprana Sabhagriha.
Since its inception the college has been affiliated to University of Calcutta. In the year 2008 the
college came under the West Bengal State University, Barasat.
PG in Philosophy